The humble Servoskull, they’re everywhere in 40K artwork. Last year, just before Halloween, I was in town and spotted a cheap plastic skull in shop window that had a light inside it. Seeing a bargin that had potential, I snagged it, planned to turn it into a Servoskull. Heres how it went.
It’s not very big but enough for what I wanted. The bulb inside is quite bright and the whole skull has a soft glow to it when lit. I started by cutting the bottom away and was hoping to scoop out the soft gooey brains within. Sadly, no brains, only wires.
The inside of the skull was lined with milliput for two reasons. Firstly to give it a rigid core, the soft vinyl bent too much. Secondly to block any light spilling out inside it. I started to sculpt some details to the outside skull and add some bits as decoration. A brass Aquila from Forgeworld, some screws drilled into the skull, a few random bits of 3d printed parts I made, some milliput over the top in places and I added anything else I could find which fitted.
I also sculpted some teeth over the top of the old ones as they didn’t look right. Skully has a little bit of overbite but doesn’t look too bad.
I designed the base in Cinema 4d and 3D printed it so it could house the battery and hold the whole thing up.
Testing the light to make sure nothing spills out around the edges.
Primed in black and then a base coating airbrushed a bone colour.
The painting was fairly simple with lots of weathering using oil paints. I hot glued plenty of wires dangling out of the end to hide the battery wires sneaking into the base as well.
One servoskull. It came out well for a cheap skull although most of it got covered in new material.
There some more pictures in the google gallery below.