I had a spare bit of resin when casting something one afternoon. I hate wasting resin which could be used, so poured it into an ageing Mechanicus seal mould.
The final piece was a bit air bubbly but I didn’t expect it to be perfect, the resin was already starting to cure. With some polishing and careful carving, the piece ended up looking like quite weathered which was a nice effect.
I’ve been able to cast a few more in resin. I also cold cast a couple with aluminium to get a silver metallic effect.
The final results came out well but they’re fiddly to cast without airbubbles. Another reason for me to try and make room for a vacuum tank somewhere.
Are you ready kids? Aye-aye captain. I can’t hear you… Aye-aye captain!
OooooOOooo Who lives in a Pineapple under the sea?
That’s quite enough of that… I wanted to make something fun for my daughter as a Christmas pressie for her Uni flat and stumbled across a planter in the shape of Spongebob Squarepants house on Thingiverse and thought that would be a good idea. Sadly, I can’t remember which one I used and there are several on there if you search.
To put in the top, I ordered a pack of Ikea fake plants called Fejka and then took measurements of the pot size.
Once I had that worked out I was able to edit the mesh I’d downloaded so it would fit into the print. I also removed the chimney as I didn’t want that printing at the same time. My original plan was to print that seperatly and paint it before gluing into place but I ended up making one from scratch out of metal tubing and Milliput.
Then I kicked off the print.
And watched it print.
And it kept printing.
And still it printed.
Until it finally finished over TWO DAYS LATER!
I’d made a bit of a rookie error and not adjusted the print setting much. I wanted the insides to be quite rigid as it may end up with a real plant in it but I may have not worked out my setting properly. Still, it worked out well without any problems with the print.
It worked out fine in the end but needed sanding and cleaning up.
To paint it, I first primed it then sprayed it yellow. I didn’t like the solid yellow so tried orange. I didn’t like solid orange so sprayed it from above to get a zenithial yellow/orange combo.
The final piece came out well, but I keep seeing little things I wish I’d spotted when I was sanding it but you don’t notice unless you squint up close.
I wanted to try some quick and simple 3d modeling in Cinema 4D to have a little practice. I came up with the idea of a 40k Ork Freebooterz symbol after a suggestion on a Discord server and quickly threw something together which would print easily.
The mesh is a little messy but it did the job. After a couple of quick test prints which had some warping or areas I wanted to tweak, I ended up with something I was happy with.
I also did a couple at different sizes so I could try out how it felt.
After some priming and sanding, I made a mould and set about casting a few.
As well as blank resin, I’ve cold cast a few in aluminium to get a silver effect. Apart from a couple of air bubble in one, I’m really happy with the result.
My 3d Printer is now protected by the Inquisition, the Adeptus mechanicus and looks like its also been looted by some ork lads.