Tag Archives: printing

Ryza Pattern Lasgun

It may not be obvious by now but I have a lot of miniatures. I’ve been buying them, including Games Workshop stuff, since the 80s and I have a big soft squidgy spot for Imperial Guard. I’ve been stripping my old minis and repainting them recently.

So you can see, I like the old style minis, especially the old Necromunda 8th/original design.

Cadia stands and all that but come on, look at that design. It’s great. That iconic John Blanche picture which just shouted out to me as a wee lad. John has appeared on this blog before and is still an influence on me now.

That lasgun design is wonderful. Interesting that some of the early artwork, especially that Paul Bonner one, has some odd variations on the design. Notice the blast bit of the muzzle is upside down and the squat in the foreground even seems to have his lasgun upside down!

About a year ago I started seeing if I could model this design in 3d using Cinema 4D and ended up with something that was passable.

I broke it into loads of parts and set it printing.

Blah blah blah. More printing.

Waffle… assembled.

Do I look mean yet?

I ran out of blue and switched to a roll of red. I was dry fitting as I went along and found a few issues with how it slotted together. I’d need to tweak things in the files if I was going to reprint this but I ended up cutting or sanding things away. As it doesn’t need to be taken apart it doesn’t matter. Plenty of filler and glue works wonders.

Notice the bottom of the grip, I designed the piece in the hilt to be a power pack. I glued it in place but if I was being fancy I would have left it so it can be slotted in place or removed.

So much sanding. I was sat in the garden for hours just filing and sanding and priming and sanding and… People think 3d printing is going to kill things like the mini industry or modelmaking but then forget how much work is needed to clean these damn things up. Even resin printing is nasty.

Anyway… I hadn’t printed the grippy part of the handle very deep so ended up sanding and filling it flat then painting it with hammerite to make it look like a rubber grip.

Lots of silver next. It’s a pretty simple colour scheme. I ended up painting some copper on the grip to add some colour.

Dirsty lasgun!

Finally weathered with metal polish. I use a lot of fire grate polish on my pieces for weathering. Rubbed on then buffed off gives a nice shine. It’s looking like it’s seen some action now.

Finished. One standard issue Ryza lasgun.

Sadly I don’t have the rest of the outfit to go with it but it was a fun project to make.

As mentioned,the files need to be edited a bit to make it fit together a little better but I was happy with it. I’m now thinking of making a laspistol in the same pattern.