Just throwing these out as I’ve done a couple of quick renders to see how its going. There are still some missing textures and the lighting is a bit rough.
I’ve started to add some textures to the cockpit after a week of redoing the UV’s. I felt all smug with myself for using zbrush’s UVmaster to create the UV’s but it seems that they are a bit too slapdash for hard surface modeling. Serves me right for trying to cut a few corners. I’ve spent most of the week redoing the UV’s so I can finally get on with some texture work now.
This is where the fun really starts (well actually I like doing the modeling but it sounds better like that) Theres no AA set yet so it looks a bit jagged but theres also no GI going on and the lights have no shadows. Thats all baked AO for the shadow and a few quick textures started for the basecoat.
A few hours playing around with the base colour gave me this.
Its mainly Bodypaint with some Photoshop loving and I will need to work on things like bump and specular but the mail colour map is coming on well.
And on that note i’m off to sleepski…
Its been over a month since my last blog post… terrible by my normally rambling standard so to make up heres some updates on various things.
1) The blog and website have had a bit of tweak. The website has had a few mobile issues fixed which have been bothering me for ages and have been hard to nail down while the blog is getting a rejiggy to make it a bit easier for me to update. I thought I would create a child theme of twenty eleven but i’m not really sure I like how it does a few of its bits so may change it again. While this is ongoing i feel like slapping an animated gif of an orange flashing light with a sign saying ‘site under construction’ all over the place just to go retro.
2) Babylon 5. I’ve been working like a monster most evening trying to get my work UV’ed only to find a nice workflow using c4d to zbrush then UV with UV master then back to c4d. UV master is getting my UV work done in minutes rather than evenings so I’m starting to get into thinking about textures.
3) Not really a work thing but last year for halloween we sculpted little pumpkins out of super sculpey, this year we did ghosts today. I’ve given mine a quick coat of paint to check for blemishes and the only paints I could unearth was a black, a lilac, a chrome and a red so went for red thinking it would be sanded smooth in places then sprayed a different colour. I’m now thinking I like the red. Its like a Pacman ghost with arms. He’s getting another coat tomorrow at some point and then some glow in the dark spray paint which coats anything it sprays with a transparent varnish like stuff but with a glowing layer. Dunno how it will work with shiney red but heres hoping.
So, there is it. I should point out that the view out of the window is NOT what will be in the game. I’m not saying what the view will be but its not anything like that. I found a painting of Rama which kind of fits with the circular view of the B5 station but as this isn’t the station it doesn’t matter what i put out there. These are just sample renders with some quick GI settings but they look ok and I should repeat that the viewscreen is supposed to be untextured at this stage.
I’ve handed over the file as they stand and am now waiting for some feedback over any changes to be made. I’ve seen a screenshot of the scene as its loaded into an Ogre viewer. It’s not the in game engine but the kick out of seeing it running in something else is great.
I’ve picked up a hell of a lot of info over the last few months and really streamlined my workflow, I’ve also got a better understanding of UV’s, materials and how to handle them and on the whole i’m really pleased with the final texture work. Looking at the scene now it looks a little empty and could do with a new nicknacks around the place to dress the scene (Sinclair had some photos and Sheridan had a bucket load of papers scattered over his desk) but thats just extras.
Hmmm a massive lack of updates on here for pretty much everything due to being rather busy with several things, better do something about that I guess.
I started having a mess around with rendering the office scene (not a patch on some peoples renders though) I used a luminance material on the lights in the ceiling and then played around with the GI settings so its not a final by any means, more a way of me checking it over.
There are no lights in the scene, just the one material, plus once the wall lights are finished I will add a luminance for them as well.
What else needs to be done then. Well, I’m glad you asked.
- The wall lights need to be textured
- The walls need their panel lines adding and some final toning work to make them fit with the panel (i’m putting this off until last, this could be a nasty job)
- Plants… there are some plant pots in the scene (not visible here) and I need to find some trees/bushes to fill them. I seem to remember having some xfrog discs many years ago
- A few more textures need finishing (mainly specular but a few colour and one or two diffusions need to be redone and some final luminance maps)
- erm… some other bits. cant remember what but its all listed in the c4d file