I had a spare bit of resin when casting something one afternoon. I hate wasting resin which could be used, so poured it into an ageing Mechanicus seal mould.
The final piece was a bit air bubbly but I didn’t expect it to be perfect, the resin was already starting to cure. With some polishing and careful carving, the piece ended up looking like quite weathered which was a nice effect.
I’ve been able to cast a few more in resin. I also cold cast a couple with aluminium to get a silver metallic effect.
The final results came out well but they’re fiddly to cast without airbubbles. Another reason for me to try and make room for a vacuum tank somewhere.
After I made my original purity seal, I’ve been meaning to make some new ones for a while. I even managed to start making a couple several years ago before forgetting about it. I finally got round to finishing and casting one based on the Adeptus Mechanicus logo.
It had been sitting unloved in a drawer for a while so with a little polishing up I managed to get round to casting it with some spare Dragon Skin silicone left over from remoulding Cthulhu. I used a trick I’d picked up a while ago for measuring the volume needed by pouring rice into the area to be moulded and then measuring that volume.
To test the mould, and also some different pigments I have, I mixed up some red resin and poured some test pieces.
I’m also trying out some new weathering process which look nice and is a little quicker than my current process. Using oil paint instead of black polish means I have longer to work with the weathering.
I’m pretty pleased with the end result. It looks nice and battered but the detail is still clear.
The finished Adeptus Mechanicus Purity Seal is now available, along with the standard Purity Seal, in my Etsy shop.