I am Groot

I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot.
I am Groot.

I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.
I am Groot.

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot.

Masks of Nyarlathotep – The Golden Ward prop

The following post is about making a small prop of the Golden Ward for the the Masks of Nyarlathotep Peru chapter so contains minor spoilers.

Spoilers ahead

As part of the first session, the investigators stumbled onto a mysterious golden item in the basement storage area of a university they visited. I wanted to make a prop for them of this to have as props are a great part of any game and it adds to the flavour of the evening. I have bought the excellent HPLHS prop set for the Masks campaign but there isn’t a prop for the Ward, most likely because its supposed to be 2 feet long. A bit too big to ship cheaply.

The Golden Ward is a basic shape so thought I could create a model myself. I sat down a few weeks ago to try and sculpt it but didn’t get far and so it ended up on the back burner. With only a few days to go until the next session, I suddenly remembered it wasn’t done. So I fired up Cinema 4D and made the basic shape by chopping and shifting some points around until I had the form right.

Cinema 4d wireframe
Cinema 4d wireframe

It looked right and with a little bit of roughing up, I had enough to export from C4D into Zbrush.

test render
test render

In zbrush I divided it a few times and then roughly carved symbols into the mesh. I don’t have any in progress shots but I did most of the work with the clay tubes brush and hpolish. I did dip into a few other brushes but I was flying so fast I didn’t keep track of what I was using. What I was aiming for was a roughly carved and damaged look, the Ward has been well traveled and isn’t in the greatest of shapes, so needed to look damaged.

I kept shifting between the red wax texture and the gold texture to see how it was looking in zbrush. Once I was happy with it, I hit it with decimation master, going from 11 million polys, down to 478,085, a pretty big drop. I could try to get it down further but didn’t want to ruin the mesh.

The golden ward, in gold.
The golden ward, in gold.

I then exported the obj file to print on my iiip 3d printer. My first thought was to print it at 45 degrees across the bed to print it as big as possible. I ended up with a print time of about 6 hours this way plus I wasn’t sure if I had enough filament, so settled for a smaller size.

golden ward in cura
golden ward in cura

My printer doesn’t have the greatest of resolutions but it came out ok in a couple of hours. I sanded it to remove the print lines and gave it a coat of thinned out Liquid Green stuff to help with any parts I’d missed. I then painted it with some Games workshop paints and its done, ready for the game.

The golden ward painted
The golden ward painted

You can read all about the jolly hi-jinx of the team in my session write ups and the file for this is available on thingiverse.

Lawgiver – Judge Dredd prop gun

Quite a long time ago (about 5 years I think, which is a long time for me) I wanted to make a Lawgiver from the 2012 film Dredd because… well its Dredd, and its a cracking film. It took quite a while to get round to making it but here its is, in all its resin glory.

Build

It was built from a bunch of 3d printed parts that I assembled around a broken Glock BB gun and then spent the next few months carefully sanding and smoothing it.

Lawgiver parts printed
Lawgiver parts printed

Once I was happy with it, I primed it ready for casting.

lawgiver primed
primed

Casting followed my general plan of winging it. I encased half of it in plasticine, built a wall of foamcore around it and poured in silicone. Once that was set, I flipped it over, removed the plasticine and repeated the wall/silicone part.

Foam board wall and encased in plasticine.

The original was then pulled out of the mould carefully and it was ready for casting.

The first pair came out of the mould easily but theres plenty of air bubbles and little bits that need attention. I don’t own a pressure pot so its hard to get them all out but, the clean up of the seam and bubbles don’t take long. An evening or two cleared them up and ready for priming.

In the meantime I made a mould for the magazine.

For the bullets in the magazine, I went for a slightly larger than the film bullets. I wanted them to look obvious and pretty mean so built them from… dolls eyes!

One last piece of the puzzle is the serial number down one side, to make this piece I laser cut the numbers and I’ve done each one as a unique number so every lawgiver has its own S/N.

Painting

Painting is fairly straight forward. Using rattlecans, they’re coated in lots of black, some silver is then added to different locations to act as wear and tear and then weathering. Weathering was done using oil paint (mainly burnt sienna and browns) smeared on, left and then wiped off. The bullets are painted brass and silver before being glued into the magazine. Also added are some small clear plastic sheets to the magazines to act as windows.

Stand

I also laser cut a persex stand to mount the lawgiver.

I’ve made four so far and they’re pretty heavy as they’re solid resin but they have a good weight to them.

If you want to see more build photos, have a look at my google album: Lawgiver gallery