I had a spare bit of resin when casting something one afternoon. I hate wasting resin which could be used, so poured it into an ageing Mechanicus seal mould.
The final piece was a bit air bubbly but I didn’t expect it to be perfect, the resin was already starting to cure. With some polishing and careful carving, the piece ended up looking like quite weathered which was a nice effect.
I’ve been able to cast a few more in resin. I also cold cast a couple with aluminium to get a silver metallic effect.
The final results came out well but they’re fiddly to cast without airbubbles. Another reason for me to try and make room for a vacuum tank somewhere.
I wanted to try some quick and simple 3d modeling in Cinema 4D to have a little practice. I came up with the idea of a 40k Ork Freebooterz symbol after a suggestion on a Discord server and quickly threw something together which would print easily.
The mesh is a little messy but it did the job. After a couple of quick test prints which had some warping or areas I wanted to tweak, I ended up with something I was happy with.
I also did a couple at different sizes so I could try out how it felt.
After some priming and sanding, I made a mould and set about casting a few.
As well as blank resin, I’ve cold cast a few in aluminium to get a silver effect. Apart from a couple of air bubble in one, I’m really happy with the result.
My 3d Printer is now protected by the Inquisition, the Adeptus mechanicus and looks like its also been looted by some ork lads.
I saw this plasma pistol prop on thingiverse a while ago and its been in the back of my mind as a possible build for a while. As I wanted something to distract me that wasn’t too mentally challenging during the COVID lockdown, I broke out a roll of filament and started printing.
This is a really nicely designed project. It’s broken into logical pieces and the sub-assemblies all go together really well. After many days of the printer running constantly, I had the parts run off and ready for priming… and sanding… and priming… and…
It needed lots and lots of sanding to get smooth. Followed by priming with spray putty. I got through nearly a whole can of the stuff as well as grey primer. It was really hard to find some of the bit that needed redoing sometimes and it wasn’t until I thought I’d finished a pieces, i’d find another one that needed to be reworked a bit.
The plasma coil/core/hot bit was painted seperatly and hit with loads of lacquer to ensure it was nice and glossy. I’m not great with an airbrush but it came out well.
Once I was happy with the basic paint job, it was time to start sticking together and filling bits that needed to be filled.
Plenty of oil paint on the dangerous end. Blues, browns and blacks to get a proper grimy look.
And then one final attempt to look ‘ard.
Its a weighty beast, coming in at over 700g.
It has a new owner already and will be joining him once the lockdown is a little less lockydowny.